November 9, 2011

THE MAKING OF MY WEDDING DRESS III




So these are some of the pictures from my FINAL DRESS FITTING at CRUBA by Mira Becker (there was one in between this one and the first one, but I don't have pictures from that fitting because LINDSAY went off to ROME for a month and therefor could not join me). At this point the dress was basically ready.. It was very exiting.. and a bit nerve wrecking seeing it almost all done because I had basically never seen the dress before ..and the wedding was almost only two weeks away. After the first meet we decided to do quite a bit of changes compares to the first dress I tried on. It was very fun to be able to discuss with MIRA how the dress could and then should look like. Compared to the dress I first tried on my dress ended up WIDER and with a BELT (Mira already had designed a dress in a slight different design with a belt on it) in CHAMPAGNE instead of light grey/blue, more OPEN IN THE BACK and with the glossy side of the SILK turned outwards instead of the matte. They also doubled the fabric to get a more HEAVY and DRAPEY feel. So yes ..even though I felt that the dress would turn out great I was a bit nervous, but I was very happy when I saw it and took it on!

So for this last fitting we just had to decide about the length of the dress ..and if I wanted a VEIL. I really had not made up my mind when I entered the store that day, had it not been for the fact that Mira had already ordered the fabric I'm afraid that there never would have been a veil (THANK YOU Mira for your clairvoyance!). This by the way was not the only time she helped me during the wedding planning; every time I was there she would ask me; have you thought abut this or that ..and often I hadn't. She both introduced us to a GREAT CAKE PLACE in the WEST called WIENER CONDITOREI CAFE AM ROSENECK (some of you might remember that we first tasted some cakes from local bakers) that we ended up using ( the cake place is a story of it's own..it's situated in the middle of one of the embassy areas in the western part of BERLIN, where you are surrounded by people talking all different languages, where there are fancy young women in burkas and women in their 60's looking like BOMBSHELLS from LA; wearing all white and pink with their crazy blond hair) ..Mira also introduced us to a FLOWER GUY(the guy who do their flowers, and they are always beautiful, but I never managed to decide on what I wanted till the day before the wedding so I didn't use him, and now I have forgotten his name, but I bought my flowers in our hood from a CRAZY lady in PURPLE who didn't cut off the thorns so my hands hurt all our wedding day.. anyway, that is again a whole different story, so let's return to THE DRESS ...AND THE VEIL!!




So there I was, in the store, in the dress with Mira and one of her co workers CUTTING the HEMLINE ..and then SHAPING, SCULPTURING and CUTTING the veil ..on my HEAD ( the cutting was by the way done with a beautiful pair of GOLDEN SCISSORS that Lindsay just fell in love with). They custom made the veil so that it would work perfectly with the back of my dress. When they showed me what they wanted to do there was no doubt in my mind. Up till that point I had been going back and forth between thinking that I really just liked the dress the way it was and that a veil would be too much ....BUT also thinking that it would be ONE BIG MISTAKE letting the one opportunity I ever (hopefully) would get to wear a veil pass me by ..taking that I am a big fan of ACCESSORIES ...and a little bit of DRAMA. But yes, when they showed me how the veil would turn out I knew it would be just PERFECT, and today I am so happy I ended up wearing a veil, with out a doubt it brings a little extra something! So after the cutting and the shaping we decided that I would come back for the dress and the veil on the Saturday almost a week before the wedding. This was also the day of my BERLIN BACHELORETTE PARTY so it turned out to be quite a fun pick up. Pictures from that later in the week!



All photos by LINDSAY ISOLA


No comments:

Post a Comment